Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Misc...

I am glad that two of my favourite 'blogs, Pontifications and the Shrine of the Holy Whapping are back after a hiatus. The quotes from the Shrine Road-Trip have inspired me to come up with a concept for some Catholic cartoonist to develop...
Imagine if you will, a pair of ultra-POD liturgical crime-fighters (an UberCatholic Mulder and Scully) who travel across America in a converted luxury car (The Holy Roller) fighting liberal liturgists, liberation theologians and the like... I think it should be called The Ecclesiastical Adventures of Anaphora Epiklesis and Anathema Seth.
Incidentally, I was going to write a little piece on the etymology of the term POD (also P.O.D), but I note that Father Bryce beat me to it more than 12 months ago... He notes that George Weigel picked it up from American seminarians in Rome, but Fr Bryce notes that he never heard the NAC faculty use the term. So, the question remains, was the expression pious and over devotional actually ever in use by seminary faculty in America (or elsewhere) or was it the clever invention of a seminarian who was satirizing the attitude of his formators?
Major kudos to Taylor Marshall of Ecclesia Anglican for this helpful cartoon which explains what's in the Windsor report.... And to think I spoiled my eyesight reading that .pdf...

No comments: