Thursday, April 21, 2005

Roman Fragments

I'm still grinning from ear-to-ear and am so looking forward to the Inauguration on Sunday that I'm reluctant to star blogging about the serious issues surrounding the expectations surrounding a Ratzinger papacy... So I'll leave you with a few of the questions and thoughts floating around the city and will continue my account of what happened on the night of the happy announcement.

Questions Historial
When's the last time we had a Theologian-Pope? Certainly John Paul II and Pius XII stand out for their learning, but the former was primarily a philosopher and the latter was a diplomat. Off the top of my head, I don't think we've had a professional theologian as Pope for well over a century.

And when's the last time that a Cardinal has come to the Papacy after heading up the CDF/Holy Office/Inquisition? Pope St Pius V???

Readers, please do correct me... I've not had time to research these issues...

Questions Political
Pope Benedict XVI doesn't have a reputation of being close to many of the movements and religious congregations (Neo-Cathechumens, Legionaries of Christ, Focalaire, Opus Dei, etc...) who profited from Pope John Paul's patronage. However, the Spiritual Family of the Work may be worth keeping an eye on.
So, who's going to be the next head of the CDF? I've heard numerous names including Cardinal Schoenborn of Vienna, Bishop Rino Fisichella (Auxiliary in Rome), Cardinal Bertone of Genoa or even one or two Roman-based theology professors.
Whisperings I've heard, very strongly suggest Italian Theologian-Bishop Bruno Forte.

The new head of the CDF? Bishop Bruno Forte.

And a joke...
The latest news suggests that Cardinal Ratzinger has approved the theological ideas of the new Pope!

No comments: