Sunday, June 11, 2006

Trinity Sunday...

Firmly I Believe and Truly - Newman
Firmly I believe and truly
God is Three, and God is One;
and I next acknowledge duly
manhood taken by the Son.

And I trust and hope most fully
in that Manhood crucified;
and each thought and deed unruly
do to death, as he has died.

Simply to his grace and wholly
light and life and strength belong,
and I love supremely, solely,
him the holy, him the strong.

And I hold in veneration,
for the love of him alone,
holy Church as his creation,
and her teachings are his own.

Adoration aye be given,
with and through the angelic host,
to the God of earth and heaven,
Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Reccommend me a book...
As is my custom at this time of year, I'm putting together a little order with Amazon to keep myself amused over the Summer. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm not particularly looking for Theology books - some nice fiction or history would be good reading. So, if anyone's got any suggestions, please put them in the comments boxes.
I suppose the novel I've enjoyed reading most in the past few months is Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - a very charming and thought-provoking book.
I've also enjoyed Freakonmics which applies the techniques of economic analysis to a variety of problems. However, I don't give it an unqualified recommendation - the economist in question, Stephen Levitt speculates that the legalization of abortion in the States lead to a decline in violent crime. I'm willing to accept his disclaimer that he's just analysing the phenomenon without having an agenda to push - but I can well understand the inclusion of that argument making people reluctant to read the book.

No comments: